When it’s cold outside, there are many different ways to warm up without turning up the thermostat. Naturally Clean, which provides professional residential maid services, has gathered these great energy efficient tips.
1. Open curtains and blinds during the day to let the sun in – and close them again at night to keep out the cold.
2. Leave throws around your home so everyone can snuggle up in a blanket whenever they sit down.
3. After a shower, don’t turn on the bathroom fan – instead, open the door. Humidity makes the house feel warmer.
4. Run ceiling fans in reverse (remember – warm air rises). Air pooled near the ceiling is circulated back into the living space.
5. Use area rugs on bare floors.
6. Block drafts with weather stripping or homemade draft-stoppers such as a rolled up towel or cylindrically shaped pillow.
7. Make sure heat vents, registers and radiators are free of obstructions. If they’re covered with furniture, the warm air won’t reach you (blocked vents can also be hazardous in your home).
8. Change furnace filters regularly. Dirty filters restrict airflow and increase energy demand. It important to replace or clean furnace filters once a month during the heating season.
9. For sleeping, switch to flannel sheets and a down comforter.
10. Use colour. Certain colours create a cozy atmosphere. Warm colours include rich browns, warm reds and glowing golds. Use these colours for paint, furnishings and accessories.